This teriyaki sauce is tangy and sweet– without any sugar! These meatballs can be thrown together in about 30 minutes and served as an app, grain bowl, or over zoodles.
- Bamboo Skewers, cut or broken in half
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ¼ c red onion, diced
- ¼ c red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- ½ tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp date paste or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
- ⅓ c coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 3 dates, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes (or 1 tbsp date paste or 2 tbsp honey)
- ½ tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar, i used apple cider vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ c water
- ½ tbsp tapioca flour (or arrowroot flour or corn starch)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Soak skewers in water.
- (Optional step) Saute onions and red peppers for 4 minutes until softened.*
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix well with hands or fork.
- Form into small balls using your hands or a small icecream scoop (dip scoop in water between meatballs to help prevent sticking).
- Place balls on a sheet pan lined with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- After you’ve formed all your meatballs, gently stick skewer through 3 meatballs.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes.
- While the meatballs bake, combine aminos, garlic, ginger, onion, dates, mustard, oil, vinegar and salt into a bullet or small food process/blender. Pulse/blend until well combined.**
- Pour blended sauce into a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk water and tapioca flour together and add to sauce.
- Stir over medium-low for 3-4 minutes until thickened. Remove from heat and pour over meatballs or serve as a dipping sauce.
See the blog for more ways to use this recipe!
*I prefer these meatballs to have a bit of texture so I don’t cook my onions and peppers but if you don’t prefer that, I would quickly saute them.
**If you don’t use a date, you can just whisk the sauce, but I find a processor makes this sauce really creamy.
Keywords: whole30 meatballs, chicken meatballs, chicken skewer recipe