This is a 2-for-1 deal, we are taking one main ingredient and changing the flavors and create an entirely new dish without all the extra work. The flavors are sweet, tangy and rich, just the way bbq should be. I love it topped with a creamy poppy seed slaw and wrapped up in butter lettuce.
- 1 whole chicken 4-5 lbs, giblets removed
- Half an onion
- Salt & pepper
- ½ c Chicken broth
- optional: fresh herbs, (I use rosemary, oregano and thyme)
Peach Rosemary BBQ Sauce:
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- ¼ c liquids from crockpot (or chicken broth)
- 2 medium peaches, roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ts. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ½ c thin sliced cabbage or slaw mix
- ½ c grated carrots
- 3 tbsp ounces white wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp avocado or olive oil
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Butter lettuce, Romaine, or Bread/Buns for serving
- Place chopped onion inside the cavity of the bird.
- Generously salt and pepper and sprinkle chopped herbs over the chicken.
- Place chicken in crockpot and pour stock over.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or 4-6 on high, until easily pulled away from the bone and shreds.
- Completely shred chicken from the bone using a fork and knife (or your finger once cooled).
- Store HALF of the chicken (about 3 cups) in an airtight container in the fridge once cooled.
- Prepare sauce in a small saucepan.
- Melt butter over a med-high heat, add onions, rosemary, and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
- Chop roughly chop peach set aside ¼ c and place 1 ¾ c in food processor/blender/bullet and pulse until pureed.
- To the onion mixture, add liquids from crockpot (or stock), all peaches (chunks and puree), worcestershire, mustard, honey and seasonings. Stir together and cook on med-high for 5 minutes, then simmer on low for 15 minutes. Then pour over the remaining half of the shredded chicken until well combined.
- Stir all slaw ingredients together and use as a garnish or a side.
This is part of a two-for-one series, so it calls to only use half of the main ingredient, the other half will be used in next weeks recipe.