Happy Fourth of July everyone! If you are here in the states or an american abroad, I hope you have fun plans with family or friends and time to take a moment to be grateful for all of the wonderful freedoms we enjoy. In honor of this most sacred, fun, and festive of holidays, we asked some of our favorite people what their favorite thing is about America. Some were serious and some more silly, but here’s what they had to say…
1. Freedom. First and foremost.
2. New York fashion week… So much creativity and talent on such a small island.
3. Boy Bands. Although they’ve been outsourced to England & Ireland (One Direction and The Wanted…) but boy bands are an American institution thanks to NSYNC, The Backstreet Boys, and even 98 Degrees.
4. The fact that coffee comes in 32 ounce servings.
5. Dolly Parton’s rendition of the national anthem. Is their anything more American?
6. That we bookend summer with three day weekends… genius!
7. Pictures of food. Hey now! Before you eat that brunch, you’d better take a picture of it and post it to at least three different forms of social media.
8. The Kardashians. Love ’em, hate ’em… they’re on top. And they are here to stay.
9. Net-A-Porter, Shopbop, Rent The Runway… Some of the best e-commerce, shipped domestically.
10. Yo-yo diets: Paleo. Atkins. Cleansing. Cabbage Soup. Eating for Your Blood Type. We’ve done them all.
11. The Super Bowl (mainly the commercials and guacamole).
12. Those commercials with the talking babies.
13. Cell phone appendages. Our phones are no longer accessories. They instead serve more of a purpose than our spleens and we wold all probably be thrilled if they were sewn to our hands.
14. Dessert bars at weddings… because we all need to follow up a slice of cake with donuts, theme-colored m&ms, and cookie sandwiches.
15. The great American sport of Baseball…really the hot dogs and nachos 😉
16. Apple pie.
17. Southwest Airlines. The home of the fully refundable and no change fee ticket. The real American dream!
18. Men and women who continually fight to protect our freedoms here and abroad.
19. The great american firework stand.
20. Sea to shining sea… whether east coast or west, there are so many sandy destinations to enjoy without getting another stamp on your passport.
21. National Parks: We have Teddy Roosevelt to thank for that one!
22. The neighborhood ice cream truck… do they have those driving around in other countries peddling their push-ups?
23. Each and every one of those 50 stars in the flag. So many diverse places under one red, white, and blue roof.
24. Celebrity Breakdowns : The public breakdowns of celebrities have become a common form of entertainment for all Americans alike.
25. Fourth of July fireworks shows… they may be rivaled by the Bastille Day fireworks in Paris, but you can’t see those sitting on the back of your boat on a lake somewhere so my vote is still with the 4th of July 🙂
Have a fabulous day, friends!
Initial Image via Atlantic-Pacific