The acorn squash is one of my favorites, it’s sweet flavor makes it so easy to eat–simply roasted and buttered, it’s full of delicious flavor.
- ½ c black rice
- 1 c vegetable stock
- 2–3 acorn squash
- ½ c mushrooms, chopped
- 4 stalks red kale, removed from stem, chopped
- ¼ c sweet onion, chopped
- 1 lb sweet italian ground sausage
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp fresh thyme
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ c chopped walnuts
- ¼ c parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast
- Bring black rice and vegetable stock to boil in a saucepan. After 2 minutes, cover and set to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Set oven to 400 degree. Place parchment paper on a small cookie sheet.
- Cut acorn squash in half, scoop out seeds. Rub with oil, salt, pepper and place face down on the cookie sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes.
- While squash bakes and rice cooks, add oil to a large saute pan at medium heat.
- Add onions to the pan and cook until clear.
- Add ground sausage to the onions, cooking until no longer pink, 7-10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add kale, garlic, cumin, thyme and paprika. Stir until kale is wilted.
- Remove from heat.
- Once rice is fully cooked mix into ground sausage mix
- When squash is fully cooked, scoop mixture into the center of the squash.
- Top with chopped walnuts and cheese, and place back in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Another rice or quinoa can be substituted for this dish.