I can’t exactly begin this post without acknowledging that today is baby girl’s due date! It’s kind of surreal for a day that we have been counting down to for so long to finally be here. I feel like the date alone deserves a celebration… or perhaps a pizza party would be more fitting for today’s post! It’s true. I am a self-diagnosed pizza-holic. It’s not that I don’t enjoy all varieties of food, it’s just that there are few things better than a great pizza made from homemade crust and topped with the perfect ratio of flavorful ingredients to savory sauce. Am I right? In the summer, it’s my favorite meal to cook out on the grill and enjoy al fresco with friends and when Aaron’s traveling it’s my favorite naughty meal to get delivered when I don’t feel like making dinner.
When I heard people raving about Stella Barra in Hollywood, I knew I had to check it out and get the scoop on this spinach and kale pizza that has even the most traditional of pizza aficionados singing it’s praises. You guys! This pizza is incredible! Since our shoot, I’ve told just about everyone that will listen to me how good it is. If you find yourself in Hollywood (or Santa Monica or Chicago!), you must check this place out. And if you’re not in one of those cities, you’re in luck, because they are sharing their recipe with us!
Bloomsdale Spinach and Purple Kale Pizza(created by Chef Jeff Mahin for Stella Barra Pizza Bar)
- Bloomsdale spinach – 1 cup
- Grated Pecorino Romano – 1 ounce
- Purple Kale – 1 bunch
- Parsley – 1 bunch
- Green Onion – one bunch
- Garlic – 1 tbs
- Olive Oil – 2 cups
- Sea Salt – to taste
- Black Pepper – to taste
- Non-fat milk – 2 cups
- Whole Milk – 3 cups
- Butter – 2 ounces
- Flour – 1 ounce
For the Parmesan Cream:
- Two ounces of unsalted butter
- Once ounce of flour
- Two cups of non-fat milk
- Three cups of whole milk
- Four ounces of mozzarella (shredded)
- Two ounces of parmesan
Directions:For the Garlic Confit:
1. In a medium sauce pan add one cup of garlic cloves and two cups of olive oil
2. Place the pan on low heat, DO NOT BOIL THE GARLIC.
3. Cook the garlic until soft, about 30 minutes.
4. Strain the garlic through a fine strainer and save the garlic oil.
5. Place the garlic in a food processor with the blade attachment; pure until smooth.
6. Spread the garlic pure on a sheet tray lined with parchment paper and coolFor the Parmesan Cream:
1. Place a medium sauce pot onto the stove over medium heat
2. Add butter and flour into the pan
3. Using a rubber spatula, stir
4. Cook for three minutes on medium heat
5. Slowly add non-fat milk; whisk while adding milk
6. Continue to whisk and turn up heat to medium-high; the mixture should begin to thicken
7. Add whole milk and continue to whisk and bring to boil
8. Once brought to a boil; turn off the heat
9. Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese and whisk
10. Strain and coolFor the Purple Kale:
1. One head of purple kale
2. Fill a sink with cold water
3. Using a knife remove leave from the stems; cutting , into two inch strips
4. Wash kale leaves in the sink filled with cold water
5. Using a salad spinner, dry the kale; set aside for pizzaFor the Flat Leaf Parsley:
1. Fill a sink with cold water
2. Place one bunch of parsley in the sink and move it around
3. Remove the parsley from the water and shake off excess water
4. Using a chef’s knife, rough chop the parsley into small pieces.For the Green Onion:
1. Using a chef’s knife, cut one bunch of green onion into small rings
Directions for One Pie:
1. Put a pizza stone in oven (ONE HOUR PRIOR TO BAKING) – set to 500 degrees
2. Stretch pizza out to 13 inches.
3. 2 oz of parmesan cream sauce, with 1 tablespoon of confit garlic.
4. Layer 1 ounce of grated pecorino Romano cheese over the bottom of the pizza
5. Sprinkle 2 tbs of fresh Italian Parsley and 2 tbs of Finely Sliced Green Onions over the bottom
6. Place 1 cup Bloomsdale Spinach on the bottom and 2 cups Purple Kale on top
7. Drizzle the Pizza with 1 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8. Put in the oven at 500 degrees for 10 minutes
9. Cut immediately and finish with Grated Parmesan Cheese, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Ground Black Pepper, Sea SaltMelissa Valladares