Ready for a little springtime baking? This strawberry chocolate chip scone recipe has been a favorite of mine for years! It requires no eggs and the ingredients can be substituted to fit whatever you have in your pantry!
This strawberry chocolate chip scone recipe has been one of my favorites for years, long before I ever had kids. I’ve made it a dozen different ways, too. You can use all types of different fillings, glaze or no glaze, and almost any type of flour. For grain-free, you can sub a combo of almond and coconut flours or you can keep it simple and just use all-purpose. This recipe is great for right now because it doesn’t require any eggs and the ingredients can be substituted in so many ways. We used dairy-free coconut yogurt but you can also sub heavy cream or regular yogurt.
This recipe is my go-to recipe any time the kids are begging to “help” in the kitchen. I first mentally prepare myself that it’s going to be unnecessarily messy and take twice as long as it needs to, but it will all be worth it. I mean, look at those faces! They’re so happy!
Ingredients Needed for Scones:
- Flour– you can use 1:1 gluten-free flour or all-purpose flour works great! You can also use a combination of almond and coconut flours– details below!
- Baking powder + salt– the baking essentials!
- Maple syrup – I love baking with maple syrup. It’s lower on the glycemic index so you get less of a sugar crash afterwards and is full of so many vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron, potassium, zinc and more!
- Yogurt – we used dairy-free coconut yogurt to add some creaminess to these scones. you can also use regular yogurt or heavy cream.
- Strawberries + Chocolate Chips – I love this combination! Who doesn’t?! You can get creative, though, and add your own topping combinations in this recipe.
- Powdered Sugar – if opting for the glaze, which I totally recommend, just combine powder sugar and water!
This would be a really fun and easy baking recipe for Easter morning, too! If you want to save time, you can make the dough ahead and refrigerate over night. Pull it out in the morning and bake. No need to bring it to room temperature.
Other Baking Recipes You Might Like:
- Baked Chocolate Raspberry Donuts with Powdered Sugar
- Chocolate Linzer Cookie Recipe
- Blueberry Hand Pies
- Gluten Free Carrot Bundt Cake with Coconut
- Gluten-Free Grandma’s Buttermilk Pie Recipe
Gluten-Free Strawberry Chocolate Chip Scones
For the Scones
- 2 c 1:1 Gluten-Free Flour we used Bob's Red Mill / You could also use 1 1/4 c almond flour and 3/4 c coconut flour as a substitute. If you're not gluten free, you can use 2c all-purpose
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp himalayan sea salt
- 3/4 c yogurt -- can be dairy free or traditional
- 1/4 c maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 c mini chocolate chips
- 1 c chopped strawberries
For the Glaze (Optional)
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients-- flour, baking powder and salt-- in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine the maple syrup, dairy free yogurt, and vanilla. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until the dough comes together.
- Mix in dairy free chocolate chips and chopped strawberries.⠀
- Pat the dough into a ball and lay down on a lightly floured surface. Firmly press down to form a circle about 2 inches thick.
- Using a knife, cut the circle into 6 triangles (like you were slicing a pizza). Lay each one on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes or until slightly golden on top.⠀
- While baking, you can mix together the optional glaze
- Once scones are done baking, let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Add glaze. Enjoy immediately for best results!
Photography and Video by Aaron Pinkston