These homemade pickled vegetables are perfect for snacking, charcuterie boards, or as a side at your next bbq. They are easy to make, tasty, and are good for you.
Suggested veggies (use whatever kind you like!):
- 2 small onions, slices or spiralized
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 cucumber, sliced or cut into spears
- 1 c carrots, sliced or cut into sticks
- ½ c radishes, sliced
- 1 c mini sweet peppers, quarted or halved
- ½ c cauliflower, chop into bite size pieces
- 1 celery stalk or ½ tsp celery seeds (optional)
Other veggies you could try: okra, green beans, cabbage or beets.
- 2 c water
- 1 c apple cider vinegar
- 1 c white vinegar
- ¼ –½ c sugar (I used coconut sugar, but any sugar will do)*
- ½ tsp yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tsp brown mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
+ 2 quart size glass jars
- Salt sliced cucumbers and let sit for 2 hours then rinse before adding brine. (This step is optional I like to do this to ensure my cucumbers and are extra crispy.)
- Prepare vegetables.
- In a saucepan, combine vinegar, water, salt, sugar and dry spices in a large saucepan. Bring to low boil over med-high heat. Simmer 2 minutes, stir, remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add any fresh herbs you may like to the jar include, dill, oregano, basil, or rosemary are all wonderful additions to pickles.
- Fill jars with vegetables (I did one jar mixed veggies and one jar cucumbers).
- Pour or ladle brine over vegetables submerge completely, pressing down on them with the end of a wooden spoon. Be sure to leave ½ inch headspace.
- Let sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours and then place in refrigerator.
- Allow pickling for 48-72 hours, then enjoy! These are good for up to 2 months under refrigeration.
*Sugar is for flavor and can be adjusted to your liking. For a sweeter pickle add closer to ½ c.
To add some heat and create a spicy pickled version, add 1 sliced jalapeno to each jar and 1 tsp of red pepper flakes.
Keywords: how to pickle vegetables, pickled vegetables recipe, refrigerator pickles