I’ve always been a fan of donuts, but when I (Lauren) went gluten free the only ones I could find were frozen. Talk about a disappointment. So I set out to make my own and it’s since become sort of my favorite thing and a bit of a niche for me, I even have a hashtag, #lalasdonuts. Now, I will be straight forward, I am not trying to compete with the warm from the fryer, melt in your mouth donut… though I have made some killer fried gluten free donuts in my day. Baking them is not only healthier, it’s also much simpler, so that’s typically the donut I go for. My gluten free donuts can be compared to a soft, warm cake donut. Over the years I’ve experimented with so many flavors (like these apple streusel donuts) and I try to keep them interesting. As for this Gluten Free Maple Spiced Donuts Recipe, keep reading…
This Gluten Free Maple Spiced Donuts recipe is one of my new favorites I’ve made it twice already this season and will likely have to make them one more time before the holidays are over. They are a maple spiced donut topped with a pumpkin butter glaze. I think these are such a delicious twist on a traditional pumpkin donut. Sometimes pumpkin can get lost in a baked good, so instead this donut embraces the warm flavors of maple and throws in all the nutty spice you can get to make you want to curl up in front of a fire with these and a glass of milk. I suggest you eat them freshly glazed, perfect for a Christmas Eve treat or brunch on Christmas morning.
These make is feel like fall all year round–spicy, warm and gluten free!
- 2 c gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- ½ tsp all spice
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ c buttermilk (To make this dairy free, simply use your choice of non-dairy milk and add 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and let sit for 2–3 minutes.)
- ½ c coconut sugar
- ¼ c maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ¼ c coconut oil, melted
- 1 c powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 ½ tbsp pumpkin butter (I used trader joe’s brand)
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp almond or coconut milk
- Set oven to 350 degrees and grease donut pan.
- Sift all dry ingredients in a medium size bowl, then mix until well combined.
- In a stand mixer, combine eggs, buttermilk, sugar, and vanilla.
- Add coconut oil and mix.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix, scraping sides at least once.
- Add half the mixture to a piping bag (or large ziploc), cut the point and squeeze into donut pan.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes (do not overbake).
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- While donuts are baking, whisk together and dip donuts, once they’ve cooled. (You can add more milk if glaze is too thick, more sugar if glaze is too runny).
This recipe can be halved, to make just 6 donuts.
Photography for Gluten Free Maple Spiced Donuts Recipe by Katie Jameson