I (Lauren) got the inspiration for these donuts about a year ago when I went on a girl’s trip to Providence, RI. One night we ordered dessert to split, it was a goat cheese cheesecake, and though I am not a huge cheesecake fan, I was intrigued by the goat cheese twist. One bite in, I was a believer and days after returning from the trip I found myself craving it. So I decided to create a twist on the concept with a classic Carrot Cake Donut but instead of cream cheese, create a Goat Cheese Glaze. Plus, make them gluten free, of course. These donuts are moist, spiced, and have that perfect zingy sweetness from the goat cheese glaze. I’m not sure if they make a better breakfast pastry or a dessert. I’ll leave that decision up to you. (Did I mention they are ONE BOWL!) I promise you, similar to my cheesecake experience, you will leave a believer.
If you’re a lover of cheese or not, I feel like you must love goat cheese. It’s tangy, crumbly and soft in texture (and happens to be one of the healthiest cheese choices there is). Goat cheese provides healthy fats, is easier for some to digest and is even a bit lower in calories and fat than other cheeses. I tend to try to be low dairy so goat cheese makes me feel like I can still indulge without overdoing it.
For people with sensitivities to dairy, goat cheese is a possible choice over regular cheese. Goat’s milk is lower in lactose and lactose is the reason many cannot digest dairy very well. I’m going to stop the “healthy” talk and be clear, this recipe mixes goat cheese with over a cup of powdered sugar. Ha! Just being honest– this is definitely a treat so don’t feel guilty and instead just enjoy!
If you’re wondering what to bring to your best friends baby shower, sisters wedding shower, or mother’s day brunch, I have a feeling these will do the trick.
These donuts are moist, spiced, and have that perfect zingy sweetness from their unique goat cheese glaze.
- ¼ c brown sugar
- ¼ c coconut sugar
- ⅓ c avocado oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ c shredded carrots
- 1 ½ c gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp all spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ c chopped walnuts or pecans for topping
- 3 oz goat cheese, slightly melted (I used this brand)
- 1 ½ c powder sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk (I used almond)
- Set oven to 425 degrees, grease a donut pan.
- Combine oil and sugar, mix well.
- Add remaining wet ingredients and combine well.
- Add your dry ingredients and fold in until a thick batter is formed.
- Add your batter to a piping bag (or a ziploc with the end cut off) and pipe into your donut pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- While these bake combine goat cheese, vanilla, milk, ½ c powdered sugar and whisk until combined, then add the remaining cup of powdered sugar until a glaze is formed.
- Dip each donut in the glaze gently. Top with chopped pecans or walnuts.