This deliciously spiced fall sangria is perfect to serve guests at parties and it's perfect for Halloween! It's a great wine based cocktail to serve a crowd, you can make it ahead of time and it's so easy!
This fall sangria is sure to be your party centrepiece! To make things even better, we put this big batch of fall-flavored Sangria in a great big pumpkin. Party decor and cocktails in one? Yes please! These Mark and Graham linen coasters and gold rimmed glasses set the stage and will be perfect all fall long. (I have big Thanksgiving plans for you, glasses, lest you think your job is done after Halloween!) Even if you don't have anything planned for the weekend, invite over some of your nearest and dearest for a weekend potluck and a chance to enjoy some cooler weather and this pumpkin punchbowl! Keep reading for the super easy recipe and tutorial...
How to Make Festive Fall Sangria
Combine all ingredients except for the sparkling water into a large pitcher and refrigerate overnight or for at least 12 hours (24 preferred).
Before the party, hollow out your pumpkin and place a punch or mixing bowl inside. Pour your pitcher of sangria into the punchbowl, then top with the bottle of sparkling water. You can add additional fresh fruit on top if you like. Enjoy!
A big batch cocktail for a crowd
The big batch cocktail is perhaps the best kept secret of hostesses with the mostest around the world. You can mix, shake, and stir until you achieve that perfect balance of flavor, all before guests arrive, which keeps you from playing bartender all night.
What makes this sangria perfect for fall?
This sangria is full of fruits and spices that are in season this time of year. It's perfectly balanced and a delight to drink! The fall flavors are created by a combination of;
- apple brandy
- cinnamon sticks
- star anaise
Before you take a sip, the delicate aromas will hit your nose to get you anticipated for what you are about to drink!
What's the best red wine to use in this Fall Sangria recipe?
You don't have to spend a fortune on the wine in your sangria, the flavors of the fruit and spices will start to come through, so there's no need to buy the most expensive bottle you can. Your favorite easy drinking wine will work well. A merlot, cabernet sauvignon or a pinot noir will all work well.
Top Tips to make this Festive Fall Sangria
- This is a great make ahead cocktail. Be sure to let the ingredients sit in the fridge for at least 12 hours before serving.
- Don't add the sparking water until you are ready to serve the sangria.
- I love serving this in a hollowed out pumpkin, but you can of course serve it straight up in a punch bowl.
Photography by Amanda Gallant
Be sure to check out these other tasty cocktail recipes!
If you have tried this fall sangria recipe, be sure to leave me a note in the comments below and let me know what you thought!
Festive Fall Sangria
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1 c. apple brandy or regular brandy
- ½ c. of Cointreau
- large pumkpin to hold the punchbowl
- 2 oranges sliced into ¼" thick circles (plus more for garnishing glasses if you like)
- 2 apples cut into thin slices (plus more for garnishing glasses if you like)
- 3 cinnamon sticks plus more for garnishing glasses if you like
- 3 star anise
- 17 ounce bottle of sparkling water
- Combine all ingredients except for the sparkling water into a large pitcher and refrigerate overnight or for at least 12 hours (24 preferred).
- Before the party, hollow out your pumpkin and place a punch or mixing bowl inside. Pour your pitcher of sangria into the punchbowl, then top with the bottle of sparkling water. You can add additional fresh fruit on top if you like. Enjoy!