The easiest tortilla soup, made from our Capsule Pantry list. Flexible, dairy free and you can even throw it in the crock pot!
- 1 lb shredded chicken, cut into bite size chunks or ground beef (optional)
- 32 oz stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 can or box of tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 can black beans or chili beans
- 1 cup of frozen corn, your choice
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika, smoked
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Optional: Shredded Cheese, Cilantro, Jalapeno
- 10 small corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch wide strips
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper spread tortilla strips, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher salt, toss with hands to coat evenly, and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until crisp and lightly golden brown; set aside.
- To a large stockpot, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and heat over medium-high heat to warm.
- Add the onion, jalapeno, and sauté for about 4-5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Add garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes.
- If using meat add and cook through.
- Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, chicken, corn, chili powder, spices, and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and boil 1 minute.
- Taste soup and add salt to taste.
- Serve topped with avocado, tortilla strips, fresh cilantro and shredded cheese.
This can absolutely be done in a crock pot as well. Simply do steps 1-3 in a saute pan and the rest in the crockpot. Low for 4-5 hours, or high for 2-3 hours.