There is one thing I run to for refreshment when it’s this hot: agua fresca. Take this refreshing drink to the next level by adding a bit of vodka and make a Boozy popsicle. Instead a poolside cocktail, these popsicles are your new summer staple.
Last week in Austin it was 109 degrees, I (Lauren) am from Florida and still have never experienced that kind of heat before. It’s seriously crazy. It’s been a record breaking heat wave for a couple of weeks now, hitting the triple digits almost daily.
How To Make This Boozy Popsicle – Step by Step
Slice the watermelon in half, preferable a seedless (this makes things much simpler). Cut watermelon into chunks and place into blender. Discard the rind.
Add mint leaves, vodka and fresh lime juice.
Blend for a minute until totally pulverized.
Pour into popsicle molds and freeze overnight.
Enjoy on a hot day poolside with friends!
An Easy, Refreshing and Boozy Popsicle
Instead of a poolside cocktail, you need these boozy watermelon mint agua fresca popsicles. There is literally nothing better than this treat in your hand while you sweat poolside with friends. Besides being seriously delicious, these are SO easy to make. You only need 4 ingredients and a blender.
What Is Agua Fresca?
The Mexican drink agua fresca (meaning fresh water or cool water) is a simple fruit drink made with fruit, water, and lime juice. It’s that perfect something extra–not just cold water but also not a super sweet juice. Similar to the flavored water trend that is everywhere right now, this drink offers just enough fruitiness without the fake fruit taste or mysterious natural flavorings. The base for this recipe is watermelon juice but don’t worry, you don’t need a fancy juicer, just a blender.
Is All Liquor Gluten Free?
Now, as a gluten free food writer, I can’t go on without a side note about gluten and alcohol. It’s important to note that not all liquors are gluten free. In this instance, the vodka you choose should be a potato vodka, otherwise it’s likely made with wheat and is not doable for a celiac or gluten intolerant person. A favorite of mine is Tito’s Vodka.
Gluten Free Boozy Popsicle
You could also try this recipe with rum or tequila which are also made from ingredients that do not contain gluten. And of course, this can be made without the alcohol and it is just as yummy!
Top Tips For This Boozy Popsicle
- Choose seedless watermelons if possible, it makes life a lot easier!
- Run the molds under lukewarm water and kept pulling on the popsicle sticks until one released and don’t rinse anymore, just release the rest of the pops.
- You can wrap each pop in wax paper and kept in a freezer bag.
- You can let the popsicles freeze for about 20-30 min until slushy before adding the sticks so they would stay in better.
Looking for another creative and yummy summer watermelon recipe? Check out this Summer Salad Recipe!
Check Out These Cocktail Recipes
- Cocktail Hour || Sidecar Cocktail Recipe
- Cocktail Hour || Vanilla Pumpkin Spice Mules
- Cocktail Hour || Stone Fruit Summertime Sangria
- Cocktail Hour || Springtime Whiskey Sour Recipe
Have you tried these boozy popiscles? Feel free to leave a star rating and I’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Boozy Watermelon Mint Agua Fresca Popsicles
- Popsicle molds
- 2 cups watermelon approx
- 3 tbsp lime juice fresh squeezed
- 4 mint leaves
- 4 shots of vodka
- Slice the watermelon in half, preferable a seedless (this makes things much simpler). Cut watermelon into chunks and place into blender. Discard the rind.
- Add mint leaves, vodka and fresh lime juice.
- Blend for a minute until totally pulverized.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze overnight.
- Enjoy on a hot day poolside with friends!