These hand pies are flaky and crisp while carrying the sweet flavor of blueberry with the tiniest hint of lavender. Dessert or breakfast, you can’t go wrong with these!
- 1 c blanched almond flour
- ¾ c tapioca flour (starch)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 5 tbsp coconut oil, cold
- 1 egg + 1 egg for wash to seal
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 c frozen blueberries, rinsed
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp culinary lavender, minced
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp tapioca flour (starch)
- 1 tbsp water
Icing Drizzle (optional)
- ⅓ c Powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1–2 tbsp non dairy milk
- Food Processor
- 3 ½” round cookie cutter (or mason jar lid or cup)
- Basting brush
- Plastic wrap
- Rolling pin
- In a food processor combine almond flour, tapioca flour, sugar, salt and cold oil and pulse until grainy texture appears
- Add egg process until the dough comes together.
- Wrap dough in plastic and place in fridge for a minimum of 4 hours. (Can be refrigerated for up to 2 days before used).
- In a small saucepan, add blueberries, lemon, honey, lavender and vanilla over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Whisk tapioca and water in a small bowl.
- Add to fruit mixture, stirring continuously. Turn to low and cook for for 1-2 minutes, until the mixture has thickened up.
- Cool completely or place in refrigerator until ready for filling.
- Flour the surface (or tape plastic wrap down) and use a piece of plastic wrap between dough and roller to roll out dough to a thickness of 1/8″ of an inch.
- Stamp out 10 circles using a 3 ½” cookie cutter.
- Gently place circles on parchment on sheet pan, use a floured spatula to remove from rolling surface if needed.
- Place dough circles back in the refrigerator on pan to chill for 15-20 minutes while the oven is pre-heating.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Whisk egg and splash of milk or water together in a small bowl for egg wash.
- Remove circles from refrigerator and have cooled filling ready. If desired cut a small heart or stamp out a design in the center of 5 circles for the tops. (If you don’t want a design make a few slits on the top.)
- Place 1 tablespoon of filling in the center of the dough and gently smooth down down the filling leaving small edge border of pie dough.
- Repeat for the remaining 4.
- Top each filled dough with stamped dough circle and press a fork along the edge to crimp and seal tightly.
- Brush with egg wash evenly along edges and the top. Sprinkle with raw sugar if desired.
- Bake at 350ºF for 25-30 minutes, until the the edges are lightly browned.
- Let cool briefly before serving.
- Whisk together icing ingredients and drizzle over pies if desired.
- Store at room temperature for 2 days in an airtight container.
If dough cracks a bit during assembly, don’t stress, they’ll still taste amazing.
Keywords: fruit hand pies, hand pie recipe, gluten free hand pie recipe