When I was in LA a couple of weeks ago, we spent two days fall wardrobe trend shopping from Venice and Beverly Hills to Hollywood and Los Feliz and everywhere in between. Can I just tell you that I am crazy about what is happening in fashion right now?! It's the perfect blend of 90's and 70's and earthy and refined and I'm just having trouble now not buying all the things! Let's begin this discussion about fall trends and non-boring wardrobes, though, by all agreeing that there is nothing wrong with a classic. No one has ever looked into their closet and said, "Wow, I really wish I didn't own this super chic, perfect tailored white poplin shirt that I can easily wear six different ways". However, a closet full of safe classic choices can start to feel just a wee bit boring and no one wants that, so let's chat about 7 things you can add to your current closet of staples and classic to spice things up in a way that is current and chic, but not trying too hard.
1. Fringe Jackets: Fringe this season is just everywhere you want to be, but I'm especially loving it on jackets. It feel like Almost Famous meets 2016 and just what my own personal fall wardrobe needs.
2. Statement Shoe: We all own a the perfect little ankle bootie by now, but consider something that makes more of a statement. Like this platform bootie with a gum sole, this open-backed suede slipper, or the rust colored mules that I really hope you don't all go out and order in a size 7.5 because I would still like to purchase these guys! They would be so cute with black opaque tights, right?!
3. Jeans with Details: Remember when it felt like all jeans were a super dark wash skinny jean circa 2010? Then there was the resurgence of the bell bottom, but I never could fully embrace the revival of the flared jean trend. Since no fall wardrobe would be complete without blue jeans, thankfully, I am loving all of the embellishments happening in denim right now. From patchwork to extra long frayed edges and embellished flower details, I'm giving it all two thumbs up!
4. Embroidered Jackets: Again with the embroidery, you can add this kind of a piece to a super simple top and jeans look for something that is way more interesting!
5. Seventies Jewelry: Remember when we were all wearing big, bright jewelry or bedazzled collar necklaces? Things began heading in a different direction with super dainty layered pieces but this season it seems they've found a happy medium. I'm loving the ode to the 70s with pieces that are still chunky enough to be conversational, but they don't take over a look.
6. Funky Sweaters: Sweaters are the best because they can totally be one and done when you add them to cool denim with a chunky boot or you can layer them over a collar with a skirt and tights and totally dress them up. Invest in good knitwear and you'll be thanking yourself for years to come.
7. Bandana Scarf: Are you into this trend? It's totally my speed so I'm fully committed, but I can see how it's not for everyone. They tend to be really inexpensive though and make instantly help a look to feel more current. Can't do it? Tie it around the handle of your bag instead.