Last week my in-laws were in town so we spent the better part of a week and a half taking them to our favorite restaurants and cafes around town. We had some very memorable meals, but, needless to say, by the time they left I was craving some simple, healthy bites cooked at home. When Gaby told us what she was planning for today’s post, I could hardly wait to get my hands on the recipe and try it for myself– which is exactly what I did last Sunday night before we left for China. This Avocado Tomatillo Sauce is absolutely to-die-for! If you want more of Gaby’s delicious avocado-infused recipes, be sure to check out her book, Absolutely Avocados. In the meantime, though, definitely give this one a try!
For the Avocado Tomatillo Sauce
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- ½ jalapeno, you can remove the seeds if you want, or leave them in for an extra kick
- 1 small Spanish onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Process for 1-2 minutes until the dressing is smooth and creamy.
- Serve on grilled chicken as needed.
- Cover and refrigerate any extra for another use on salads, steak, fish etc.
For the Grilled Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Olive oil for brushing
- Pre-heat your BBQ or Grill to medium high heat
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Brush each side with a little olive oil to prevent any sticking on the grill
- Place the chicken on the heated grill and grill for 4-5 minutes until the chicken is just starting to become opaque around the edges. Using a pair of tongs, flip the chicken and continue to cook for about 4-5 minutes more until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove the chicken from the grill and let rest for a few moments before serving alongside the tomatillo avocado sauce.