Caitlin & Caitlin here! If you are a regular reader of our biweekly posts or subscribe to our design firm’s blog, Life in Happy Hues, then you know we’re crazy about themes and seasons…which is exactly why we make it a mission to do holiday decorations tastefully.
Halloween is a hard one to pull off when it comes to chic over cheesy—so much orange. So, so much orange. And black. And scary things! But we won’t go there. Today (in honor of the…dead?), we bring to you lively and stylish design that your room can rock all year long.
Here are some tips on how to pull it off:
1. Tone down the pumpkin hues with pops of moss green and deep purple—these pigments are just as seasonal and add a lot of sophistication.
2. Brass accents scream fall thanks to the metal’s warm tone but work year round—and gold is great to mix with mint greens and bright blues once the weather warms too.
3. Add depth and dimension by mixing layers and textures—so cozy and inviting. We love playing with velvet, fur and feathers for this time of year.
4. Animalistic elements make a lot of sense for autumn. It’s the perfect time to collect these smalls for hanging on the wall or adding to a dinner party tablescape.
5. Flowers in autumnal hues make a room feel festive and fresh. We love Ranunculus for their layered, bulbous composition and vibrant shades of red, orange and yellow.