The internet is in full bloom with Mother’s Day posts these days, and rightly so. We baby mamas spend our days striving to find the perfect balance, to make the bed, excel at work or home or both, to negotiate getting dressed and mealtime and bedtime with
terrorists toddlers and to still make time to feel like good wives and the individuals we were pre-motherhood. (You can check out my “What I Want for Mother’s Day” gift guide, too!) We hosted an early Mother’s Day brunch last week for some of my favorite mamas and these pizzas were such a hit that I thought I would share the recipe, should you want to pass it along to your partners or age-appropriate kids for cooking! It’s really so simple, especially if you pre-buy the pizza dough and so, so delicious! Serve immediately or refrigerate and cut into slices to tote along for a Mother’s Day picnic. (I promise there will be no complaints either way!)
Bacon, Pesto, and Ricotta Breakfast Pizza Recipe with Mixed Greens and Sunny Egg
(makes 2 pizzas)
- 2 pizza crusts (we found a great, fresh option at Central Market here in Austin or you can make this recipe which I’ve done in the past and is delish!)
- 1/4 c. pesto
- 1/2 c. shredded mozzerella cheese
- 1/2 c. ricotta cheese
- 6 slices of nitrate free, black forest bacon cut into thirds (cooked about 80% through since it will continue to cook once on the pizza)
- 1/2 Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. mixed greens
- 2 pinches of lemon juice
- a couple pinches of salt and peper
1. Begin with your pizza crust. I always like to cook it about halfway through before adding toppings despite what the crust directions might say. Also, I like to cook it at 450 degrees if baking in the oven for a crispier crust. Just reduce the cooking time and keep an eye on it.
2. Remove both crusts from the oven and add pesto, mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, bacon, and crushed red pepper flakes, splitting the amounts between each crust. Place back into the oven and bake until edges begin to brown and cheese is slightly golden.
3. Meanwhile, cook your four sunny side up eggs, seasoning with salt and pepper, and set aside.
4. Remove pizzas from the oven. Top each with two eggs, half of the mixed greens, a pinch of lemon juice, and a sprinkle or two of salt and pepper. Serve immediately!
Photography by Katie Jameson