I’d be lying if I (Brian) said I wasn’t incredibly happy that summer is just about over. It’s not that I don’t like the summertime–if you exclude the heat and humidity–but from a style standpoint, fall is really where I hit my stride. For me, fall is all about classic staples, rich colors and textures, and great layers. Here are 10 of my picks for fall essentials from Brooks Brothers, Mr. Porter, ASOS, J.Crew, and REISS.
1. Brooks Brothers Red Fleece Vintage Athletic Blazer – $298. A navy blazer should be a staple of any man’s wardrobe and I love this playful and casual take on the classic. It’s unstructured construction, great detailing and patch pockets make it a perfect casual throw-on-for-anything piece. Click here to see it styled on my blog.
2. There are tons of pocket squares out there but Alexander Olch has been making some great pocket rounds. Honestly, there hasn’t been something from the designer that I haven’t immediately fallen in love with. This plaid round with a fleck of burgundy is perfect for fall. Alexander Olch Prince of Wales Check Wool Pocket Round – $60 From a color standpoint, fall is all about adding in deep and rich hues. Burgundy and purple are two colors I’m planning to wear out this season.
3. Brooks Brothers sometimes gets a bad rap for being your father’s or grandfather’s clothing retailer, but their new Red Fleece collection is definitely anything but that. I’m personally a fan of just about everything in the collection and this multi-colored gingham shirt will certainly be a staple of my fall wardrobe. Brooks Brothers Red Fleece Poplin Multi Gingham Check Sport Shirt – $65
4. A cardigan is a must-have layering piece for fall. This one from ASOS is stylish and a great price. ASOS Cable Cardigan – $64
5. A pair of casual and quality light wash jeans are essential for fall. REISS Light Wash Blue Denim – $170
6. Fall means sweater weather. And I know I’m not the only one who is excited about that. A cricket vest is an incredibly versatile piece that can be worn casually as well as dressed up. Brooks Brothers Red Fleece Cricket Vest – $128
7. I wear suede loafers a lot on my blog and get a lot of questions from readers about what season you are supposed to wear suede. My answer is always, always. Except in the snow or rain! ASOS Suede Shoes – $67.50
8. For the guy who likes to be fairly conservative having a good sock game is a great way to add a little flair. These socks will definitely get the job done without being too over the top. Brooks Brothers Striped Socks – $14.50
9. Although the general rule is that you never match your pocket square to your tie, here’s an instance where I might make an exception. (Especially if I was planning to splurge and style them with this blazer.) Alexander Olch Grayson Houndstooth Wool Tie – $150
10. The right pocket square–like the right pair of socks–is a small accessory that can make a big statement and pull an entire look together. J.Crew Italian Silk Pocket Square – $49.50— Get more of Brian’s style tips here: Facebook / Bloglovin / Twitter Initial Photo by Rob McIver Photo