Happy Independence Day Eve! Anyone planning on hosting an outdoor shindig tomorrow? Few things are better than a backyard party in the warm summer months, especially when it goes off without a hitch! Here are some tips that I have found helpful when hosting… anyone else have great entertaining tips? I would love to hear them!
1. Less is more. Let your outdoor setting speak for itself. A few casual arrangements of fresh flowers and bright pillows and blankets is all you need to add a little pop to your party.
2. Keep the menu self-serve. A Taco bar is a great way to let guests help themselves to the food and accomodate different diets. If it tends to get cooler when the sun sets, consider leaving a basket of blankets out for guests.
3. When serving cocktails, save time and hassle by pre-mixing the cocktails into a large pitcher or drink dispenser. You will spend less time taking drink orders and more time mingling– win!
4. Leave out casual games. It has recently been brought to my attention that I am a little bit obsessed with games and its totally true! I love playing games! Chances are your guests feel the same way. For a fun afternoon barbecue comsider leaving games like Connect Four or Checkers on tables or picnic blankets, or set up a crochet set out in the yard. Don’t however force guests into a group game– it can feel a little contrived.
5. Make sure your yard space is equipped with outdoor lighting. Use lanterns, candles, or outdoor light strands to add to the decor as it begins to get dark.